Monday, 7 May 2012

Book review - Bill Cooks for Kids

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a review copy of Bill Granger's new cook book 'Bill Cooks for Kids'. I have a number of Bill's other cook books and have enjoy the simple but tasty recipes before. I was slightly disappointed that this new book was a compilation of recipes from all his other books but on the plus side they have been selected as 'family friendly' dishes and organized in appropriate chapters such as play date dinners, family feasts and party time.



My first impression was that the book format was very conducive to sharing the food experience with children. The photos are big and bold and for busy parents the recipes easy to follow and to get their children involved in the preparation and cooking. Bill's ethos of healthy eating with treats in moderation is certainly the focus of this book.

I think also the idea that food is for the whole family and not making separate meals for kids and adults is an important one and one that is often not followed by a lot of families who fear their children won't want to try new dishes. A big thing that struck me about this book was that a lot of the ingredients are ones that kids are familiar with and like but sometimes presented in a new way.

I am looking forward to trying out some of the recipes here with my two year old as they say the proof is in the pudding.

Bill Cooks with Kids is available at amazon.co.uk and amazon.de from 10 May 2012